MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY PLANNING & ZONING COMMISSION MEETING May 25, 2022 The regular meeting…
MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION
JULY 21, 2008
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday July 21, 2008 in the Centennial Room, Brusly Town Hall, and Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.
Voting members present: Jim Rills, Margaret Canella, Rose Jackson,
Voting members absent: Shane Sarradet.
Non-voting members present: None.
Non-voting members absent: Jason Creighton, Kevin Durbin, Brian Falcon.
Others present: Marianne Berthelot, Joanne Bourgeois, Edith Owens.
Upon motion of Mr. Sarradet, seconded by Mrs. Canella, the minutes of the January 21, 2008 meeting were approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications. Members were informed that five applications have been received.
1. Allen Aillet, Jr. – 901 East Main Street (Wilmer & Gertie Penn Home)
2. Wilfred Hebert, Jr. – 208 W. Main Street (Ann Mary Martin Home)
3. Wilfred Hebert, Jr. – 1227 West Main Street (Robert Hebert, Jr. Home)
4. Back Brusly Oak Tree – West Main and LaBauve
5. Earl Sarradet – 1526 Allene Street (Jack Sarradet Home)
The applications were reviewed and it was determined that all requirements were met. Mrs. Canella made a motion to approve the certification of all five properties as landmarks and award a plaque and certificate to each at the next Plaque Awards Ceremony. Mrs. Jackson seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Historic Markers for Molaisonville and St. James Square. Word is that the marker is at the foundry and should be ready in two or three weeks.
Presentation of Landmark Plaques. The next Plaque Awards Ceremony will be held in late Fall in conjunction with the Ceremony unveiling the State of Louisiana Historic Markers for St. James Square and Molaisonville. The deadline for submission of applications is September 30, 2008. Joanne Bourgeois advised members that the Town presently has ten (10) plaques on hand and ten (10) more are on order. Any new applications received will be reviewed at a special meeting to be called after September 30th and the presentation date will be determined at that time.
Arbor Day Celebration and Gym Ceremony . Members were informed that the ceremonies for both the Arbor Day Celebration and the Brusly Gym Ceremony were well attended and pictures of both are on the computer in the Centennial Room for those who would like to view them.
Book of Brusly Landmarks. The Book of Brusly Landmark Homes and Sites project is progressing and proofreading should begin next week.
Ms. Joanne Bourgeois commented that publication of the book follows the procedure set out by the Town Council at their February Meeting. She also informed members that 10 owners did not respond to the request for permission to display the recent photos of their homes in the book. Mrs. Jordan asked for time to contact these persons personally. The secretary advised that if permission can be obtained within the week she will add the photos. She stated that Monday July 28, 2008 is the absolute deadline since the layout of all pages will be done by then.
Grant for St. James Square. Members discussed applying for a Planning Grant to improve the St. James Square as a historic area to actively engage and encourage the public in learning the history of our town. Members were asked to please volunteer to help with this endeavor.
Public comments. There were none.
Mrs. Canella made a motion to adjourn. Mrs. Jordan seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
The Meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission adjourned at 7:30 PM.
Marianne Berthelot, Secretary.