A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday January 23, 2012 Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.
Voting members present: Jim Rills, Margaret Canella, Shirley Jordan, Rose Jackson,
Voting members absent: Billy Bourgeois, Sara Grady
Non-Voting Members present: Kevin Durbin, Brian Falcon
Non-voting members absent: None
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois, Don Neisler, Edith Owens
Upon motion of Mrs. Canella seconded by Mrs. Jordan the minutes of the October 17, 2011 meeting were approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications
• No new applications received.
• Mrs. Bourgeois and Mr. Falcon advised members that they are scheduled to meet with St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Parish Council with regards to Plaque Applications for the Church, Rectory, Chapel and Cemetery.
• Other applications given to interested parties are still out.
• A suggestion was made to contact Union Baptist Church with regards to a plaque for their cemetery.
Certified Landmark Ordinance Compliance
• 116 W. Main St. – 208 W. Main St: Based upon information received with regards to change of ownership at 116 W. Main St. and comments from Mr. Durbin, members felt that no action was needed at this time. The item was tabled.
• Margaret Canella gave an update on the levee trail plan. An Attorney General’s Opinion concerning the right-a-ways on the levee and laws that allow exemption from liabilities was received. The next step is approval from the Levee Board.
• Mrs. Bourgeois invited members to a planning meeting to be held in the council chambers immediately following this meeting to discuss details related to the celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Brusly High School with Mr. Walt Lemoine.
There was no other business to come before the commission. Mrs. Canella made a motion to adjourn. Mrs. Jackson seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
The meeting of the Brusly Landmark & Heritage Commission adjourned at 7:05 PM.
Marianne Berthelot, Secretary