MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION October 16, 2023 A meeting of the…
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday April 21, 2008 in the Centennial Room, Brusly Town Hall, and Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.
Voting members present: Jim Rills, Margaret Canella, Shane Sarradet.
Voting members absent: Rose Jackson, Shirley Jordan.
Non-voting members present: Kevin Durbin, Brian Falcon.
Non-voting members absent: Jason Creighton.
Others present: Marianne Berthelot, Joanne Bourgeois.
Upon motion of Mr. Sarradet, seconded by Mrs. Canella, the minutes of the January 21, 2008 meeting were approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications and Awards. Members were informed that the Town has fourteen plaques available at this time and after due notice of the application deadline in local newspapers, fourteen applications were received and met the criteria required. They were reviewed individually in the order received. Mr. Sarradet made a motion to recommend that the Town Council approve awarding plaques to the following fourteen applicants:
1. Ora H. “Catherine” Blanchard “Catherine Blanchard Home” 219 North LaBauve Street
2. Rita Babin “Cazenave Home” 740 Bourgeois Street
3. Union Baptist Church “Union Baptist Church” 743 Gwin Street
4. John & Helen Gossman “J. Harvey Blanchard, Jr. Home” 723 E. St. Francis Street
5. Myrtle LaBauve “Norwood LaBauve Home” 131 St. Mark Street
6. Ronald & Babs Babin “Stuart Bourgeois House” 244 Julian Street
7. Ethel Mouch “Mouch Home” 610 S. Kirkland Drive
8. Maynette M. Milazzo “Riley Allain Home” 733 E. Main Street
9. Steve & Terry Guidry “Mandart House “ 227 N. Kirkland Drive
10. Heirs of Henry Soniat “Soniat Home” 610 Gwin Street
11. Jane Hebert Caillouet “The Old Dance Hall” 106 N. LaBauve Street
12. Thomas & Jeanette Blanchard “Redman Hall/David Blanchard Home” 833 E. Main Street
13. WBR Parish School Board “Brusly Middle School Campus” 601 N. Kirkland Street
14. John & Marianne Berthelot “Heno Hebert Home” 546 E. Main Street
Mrs. Canella seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Presentation of Landmark Plaques. The certificate and plaque presentation ceremony will be held on May 17, 2008 at the Town Hall immediately following the ceremony to unveil the Old Brusly Gym National Register Plaque ceremony and prior to the reception.
Old Brusly Gym National Register Plaque. A ceremony to unveil the plaque will be held on May 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM in the gym. Invitations were mailed out to the first class to hold their graduation in the gym. Families of those graduates that have passed away were invited to participate. A reception will follow at the Town Hall.
Historic Markers for Molaisonville and St. James Square. Wording for the markers was reviewed and several minor changes were proposed. It was determined that one marker with wording on both sides will be ordered prior to the end of June. The date for the unveiling of the marker was not set at this time.
Arbor Day Celebration. Members were informed that a Vitex (Texas Lilac) tree was planted on Thursday, April 17th at the St. James Square location to celebrate Arbor Day.
Book of Brusly Landmarks. The Book of Brusly Landmark Homes and Sites project is being funded through the Town of Brusly as a public service to the citizens of the Town by authority of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Ordinance Section 27.12.5 (f). Thanks to additional funds graciously donated through the anonymous generosity of a historically-minded Town citizen, the commission was able to undertake publication with color pictures. The donated funds will not be included in setting the book purchase price. The book purchase price will be set so as to merely restore to the Town treasury those funds appropriated for its publication. No profit will be made. The date of completion has not been determined at this time.
Ms. Joanne Bourgeois commented that publication of the book follows the procedure set out by the Town Council at their February Meeting. She also informed members that at least 160 letters were mailed requesting permission to use the recent pictures taken of their homes in the book.
WBR Museum Display of Brusly Landmarks Pictures in 2008. No further discussion was held on this matter.
Comments and updates on Commission activities.
• Help from home schooled students, Joy Jason and Shelbi Graft, was enlisted for the book project and Arbor Day ceremonies. They will also participate in the gym ceremonies and reception.
• The absences and participation of members was noted since there are several activities planned that require member participation. Members are urged to make every effort to attend or consider asking for a replacement if attendance is a hardship.
Public comments. There were none.
Mr. Sarradet made a motion to adjourn. Motion was seconded by Mrs. Canella and carried unanimously.
The Meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission adjourned at 8:00 PM.
Marianne Berthelot, Secretary.