MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION April 19, 2021 A meeting of the…
MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION
October 21, 2019
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday September 21, 2019, at Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana. Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Commissioner Bourgeois led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members Present: Billy Bourgeois, Edward Dupuy, Henry Soniat
Commission Members Absent: Margaret Canella, Rose Jackson, Shirley Jordan
Advisory Members Present: Billy Hebert
Advisory Members Absent: Scarlet Callicoatte, Brian Falcon
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois
Upon motion by Commissioner Bourgeois, seconded by Commissioner Soniat, the minutes of the July 15, 2019, meeting were unanimously approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Council Member Bourgeois presented the application for a Landmark Plaque for Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto at 402 S. Kirkland, owned by St. John the Baptist Catholic Church. The Grotto was constructed in 1954 by Father Victor Baron and five altar servers, Leonard Aillet, Harold Babin, Wiley Hebert, C.G. Mouch and Eddie Soniat. It is a humbler version of the Grotto of Massabielle in Lourdes, France where apparitions of Mary appeared to Bernadette Soubirous beginning in 1858. Council Member Bourgeois explained that the concrete dedication plaque with the builders’ names and date has deteriorated with age and is difficult to read.
Following discussion, a motion was made by Commissioner Rills, seconded by Commissioner Bourgeois, to recommend to the Brusly Town Council that the Grotto at 402 S. Kirkland receive a Town of Brusly Landmark Plaque, along with a bronze plaque to replace the weathered cement dedication plaque. The motion passed unanimously.
Council Member Bourgeois also presented the application for a Landmark Plaque for the home at 370 Lee Drive, owned by Beverly Prejean. The home was built in 1966, by Beverly and her late husband, Rod Prejean who served as a Brusly Council Member and later as Brusly Mayor. A motion was made by Commissioner Rills, seconded by Commissioner Soniat, to recommend to the Brusly Town Council that the home at 370 Lee Drive receive a Town of Brusly Landmark Plaque. The motion passed unanimously.
Former Landmark Site Applications:
Council Member Bourgeois presented the application for the Former Landmark Site for 136 & 138 S. Kirkland, the 2nd and final location of the Hebert & Mouch Store. The store was moved to this location in the early 1930s due to the Levee Reinforcement Project and remained there until destroyed by fire in the late 1930s. The property is presently owned by Vernon Smith. A motion was made by Commissioner Soniat, seconded by Commissioner Bourgeois, to recommend to the Brusly Town Council that the location be designated as a Former Landmark Site. The motion passed unanimously.
The next meeting of the Landmark & Heritage Commission will be held on January 27, 2020.
Public Comment: None
A motion was made by Commissioner Soniat to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Bourgeois. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills declared the meeting adjourned at 6:55 p.m.
/s/Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary