MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION
October 15, 2018
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday October 15, 2018, at Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana. Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Commissioner Bourgeois led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members Present: Billy Bourgeois, Margaret Canella, Edward Dupuy, Henry Soniat
Commission Members Absent: Rose Jackson, Shirley Jordan
Advisory Members Present: Brian Falcon, Billy Hebert
Advisory Members Absent: Scarlet Callicoatte
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois
Upon motion by Commissioner Bourgeois, seconded by Commissioner Canella, the minutes of the July 16, 2018, meeting were unanimously approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Ms. Joanne Bourgeois narrated a slide presentation accompanying the Landmark Plaque application for the home located at 411 Hebert Street, owned by Sara G. Sarradet, on property originally owned by Anita & Paul Fernand Sarradet, Sr. The house was built in 1964, by Manuel Martin and Paul “Cutchie” Sarradet, and was the second home in Brusly to have central air conditioning. Upon the conclusion of the presentation, a motion to recommend the home to the Town Council as Landmark Plaque recipient was made by Commissioner Bourgeois; seconded by Commissioner Dupuy. The motion passed unanimously.
Former Landmark Site Applications: None
A motion to re-elect the current officers of the Landmark & Heritage Commission was made by Commissioner Canella; seconded by Commissioner Bourgeois. By unanimous vote, Commissioner Rills was re-elected Landmark & Heritage Chair and Commissioner Soniat was re-elected Vice Chair.
The meeting dates for 2019 are as follows:
January 21, 2019
April 15, 2019
July 15, 2019
October 21, 2019
Ms. Joanne Bourgeois gave a brief history of the origin of the Town of Brusly street names using maps dating back to 1854 and 1956.
Ms. Bourgeois reported that the following acquisitions had been donated to the Centennial Room collection: Uniform hat belonging to Harold “Mutt” Dupuy, first Brusly Fire Chief, donated by Maureen Dupuy; WWII era photo album belonging to Wilfred “Bill” Dupuy, former Brusly Town Clerk, with photos taken from his tenure at Camp Davis in North Carolina, donated by Faye Hebert Bourgoyne. Ms. Bourgeois also showed the newly framed, 1960 architectural rendering of the proposed Morley Marina Resort Complex envisioned by Mr. Morley Morgana. The frame was handcrafted of old cypress and donated by Council Member Don Neisler; the rendering was previously donated by Mike Alleman, former Brusly Fire Chief. Ms. Bourgeois also showed a hand drawn map depicting the original Morley community that existed until 1923 which included a Doctor’s office, one room schools for African American and Caucasian students, 120 homes, the sawmill, and other structures.
A motion was made by Commissioner Bourgeois to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Canella. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills adjourned the meeting at 6:59 PM
/s/Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary