MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION April 18, 2022 A meeting of the…
MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION
January 24, 2022
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday January 24, 2022, at Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana. Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Commissioner Bourgeois led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members Present: Billy Bourgeois, Margaret Canella, Edward Dupuy, Henry Soniat
Commission Members Absent: Rose Jackson, Shirley Jordan
Advisory Members Present: Brian Falcon
Advisory Members Absent: Scarlet Callicoatte, Billy Hebert
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois
Upon motion by Commissioner Bourgeois; seconded by Commissioner Canella, the minutes of the October 18, 2021, meeting were unanimously approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Ms. Joanne Bourgeois narrated a slide presentation accompanying Landmark Plaque applications for the following residences and buildings:
- 323 St. Mary St. – built in 1964 (currently owned by Faith LeRoy);
- 601 N. Kirkland – built in 1950 (2nd Brusly High School building) WBR School Board;
- 601 N. Kirkland – built in 1957 (4 Classroom building) WBR School Board;
- 601 N. Kirkland – built in 1937 (5 Classroom building next to Gym) WBR School Board;
- 257 E. Main St. – built in 1942 (currently owned by Timothy Crockett).
Upon the conclusion of the presentation, a motion to recommend the structures to the Town Council as Landmark Plaque recipients was made by Commissioner Dupuy; seconded by Commissioner Canella. The motion passed unanimously.
Former Landmark Site Applications:
Ms. Joanne Bourgeois narrated a presentation for the Former Landmark Site application for the Marie Woods property located at 557 E. Main St. which once included 25 to 30 acres. Marie Woods, 1812 – 1907, was the grandmother of Charles P. Adams, the founder of Grambling College. She raised Mr. Adams upon the death of his mother in a fire. Following the presentation Ms. Bourgeois thanked Mark Graffeo for his help in finding records of Ms. Woods in the courthouse. She also thanked Brian Falcon who assisted in the research.
Upon the conclusion of the presentation, a motion to recommend the property to the Town Council as a Former Landmark Site was made by Commissioner Bourgeois; seconded by Commissioner Dupuy. The motion passed unanimously.
Other Business: None
Public Comment: None
A motion was made by Commissioner Bourgeois to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Soniat. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills adjourned the meeting at 7:12 PM
/s/Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary