MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION January 25, 2021 A meeting of the…
MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION
January 25, 2016
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday January 25, 2016, Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 P.M. Commissioner Bourgeois led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following officials present:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members Present: Billy Bourgeois, Margaret Canella, Henry Soniat
Commission Members Absent: Sara Grady, Rose Jackson, Shirley Jordan
Advisory Members: Brian Falcon, Billy Hebert
Advisory Members Absent: Kevin Durbin
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois
Upon motion of Commissioner Bourgeois; seconded by Commissioner Canella, the minutes of the October 19, 2015, meeting were approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Brusly Council Member Joanne Bourgeois presented a Landmark Plaque application for Growing Green located at 438 N. Vaughan. The following narrative accompanied slides regarding the site:
In 1939, Hubbard and Lucy Thibodeaux Peavy built the home now situated at the rear of this property upon which it was originally built. The Peavys operated a service station and small grocery store from a part of the house while using the larger portion as their residence. A separate structure, apart from the house, was constructed to serve as their service station business. In the early 1960s, this separate structure was demolished to accommodate the four-lane and service road project of LA Highway 1. At that time the house was moved further east on the property and a new service station was built to replace the demolished one. After Hubbard Peavy retired, the station was leased to at least three different Brusly residents before it closed in the late 1990s. In 2001, it was transformed into a restaurant. The first restaurant was called Brusly Landing Café and a subsequent one was named Elmo’s.
Present owners are Bill and Dyan Hebert Beatty who own and operate the business, Growing Green, from the structure which formerly housed the service station, then the restaurant. The house was recently moved for a second time in its history. It is now located further to the east than both its original location and the location of its first move.
After seeing photos and hearing the history of the building, Advisory Member Brian Falcon stated that the alterations that had been made to the original building had changed the structure and appearance sufficiently so that it doesn’t materially resemble the original station. Chairman Rills suggested the board recommend the property as a Former Landmark Site of Peavy’s Service Station.
Advisory Member Kevin Durbin arrived to the meeting at 6:43 P.M.
Former Landmark Site Applications:
After the discussion, a motion to recommend 438 N. Vaughan Dr. to the Town Council as the Former Landmark Site of the Peavy Service Station, built in 1939, was made by Commissioner Bourgeois; seconded by Commissioner Canella. The motion passed unanimously.
Brusly Council Member Bourgeois reported that there was a new Historical Marker, located next to the Town Hall driveway closest to the bank, which had been sponsored and paid for by Ms. Virgie Dickerson in honor of her father who was a Montford Point Marine. It was dedicated during a ceremony on December 19, 2015.
Council Member Bourgeois also reported that the historical sign at the Back Brusly Oak Tree had been damaged beyond repair when a large limb from the tree fell during a recent storm. Ms. Bourgeois reported that a new sign, at a cost of $1920.00, will be ordered to replace the damaged sign.
Public Comment: None
A motion was made by Commissioner Bourgeois to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Canella. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills adjourned the meeting at 6:58 P.M.
/s/Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary